Honoring the FiberMax® One Ton Club™ Winners
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Who would expect to produce one ton of cotton during a drought that makes the record books? With the high yield potential of FiberMax varieties, 103 farmers (the most we’ve ever had!) were able to join the One Ton Club™ despite difficult 2011 growing conditions. Bayer CropScience honored these farmers at the seventh annual FiberMax One Ton Club™ awards banquet in Lubbock, TX.
FiberMax One Ton Club™ by the Numbers:
- 103: The number of farmers who gained membership for the 2011 growing season
- 2,000: The number of pounds (or more) of lint cotton a farmer must grow per acre on at least 20 acres using FiberMax cotton to gain membership into the club
- 410: The number of farmers who have earned membership since the club was established in 2005
- 4: The number of states represented in this year’s new members: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas
- 27: The number of FiberMax varieties farmers used to produce high yields and quality fibers
During the banquet, Henry Cheuvront, a 4-year member of the One Ton Club from Texas won the drawing for a two-year lease on a Ford®
F-350 King Ranch®
truck. “We are so excited to win the FiberMax One Ton Club truck this year,” Cheuvront said. “It was very difficult to grow cotton last year in Texas, and we are excited to make the One Ton Club in those conditions. FM 9170B2F was very thrifty with water, and we were able to make over four bales.” In addition to these awards, Kirk and Emily Fly of Dalhart, Texas, Delmon Jr. and Dollie Ellison of Seagraves, Texas, and Joe McFerrin of Cotton Center, Texas, were chosen in a drawing to each receive 15 bags of FiberMax cotton seed.
Individual awards presented during the banquet included highest yield, highest loan value, highest gross value per acre, most acres and most varieties:
- Highest Yield and Highest Gross Value Per Acre: Vance Smith, Big Spring, Texas, 2,960 lbs/A
- Highest Loan Value: Chad Byrd, Petersburg, Texas, 57.5 cents loan value
- Most Varieties Achieving One Ton Club Yields (three varieties): Larry Hancock, Ehrenberg, Arizona, with FM 9170B2F, FM 1944GLB2 and FM 8270GLB2
- Most Acres: Larry Hancock, Ehrenberg, Arizona, 576 acres
Congratulations to the winners and to the farmers for overcoming difficult weather conditions. We’re honored to have you in the FiberMax One Ton Club!