Top 5 Moments from the AgVocate Pledge at Farm Progress Show
Tuesday, October 13, 2015
By: Cory Wightman
Do you know what it means to be an AgVocate? It’s an important role that farmers, educators, and ag professionals alike are rapidly taking on to be a positive voice speaking about the benefits modern agriculture brings to the world. At Farm Progress Show 2015, over 3,000 attendees took the pledge to become an AgVocate and help amplify the industry’s voice. You can take the pledge by simply telling a stranger about the hard work you, your family, or your friends put in every day to feed your community, or by amplifying agriculture stories through social media.
We’re taking a look back at the top 5 moments of the massive #AgVocate pledge at Farm Progress Show.
- The AgVocate wall on Day 1 of the show – the calm before the pledging storm. Spreading 216 inches wide and 156 inches tall, this is a huge wall! It took ladders, long arms and after-show hours to get all the hands to spread across the entire wall. Each hand was to represent a key topic important to modern agriculture and participants were asked to place a hand on a topic that was most important to their operations. Those topics were: innovation imperative, GMO/Biotech, pollinator health, role of organics, water resources, and importance of crop protection. Within just a few hours, the wall would be covered with AgVocates as all topics were top of mind.
- Local FFA chapters from around Illinois visited the booth every day to learn what Bayer is doing to help the agriculture community. Not only did they pledge to be AgVocates, but they are representing their own #SpeakAg campaign AND they are #Thankful4Ag.
- Olympian Jackie Joyner-Kersee is an Agvocate! Known for winning three gold, one silver and two bronze medals in four different Olympic Games – she is a true American hero. Joyner-Kersee now focuses her efforts on her greater community, one way being urban farming. She started the company 2012 in order to give families the opportunity to understand agriculture’s relationship to plant science, cosmetics and medicine as well as provide jobs for the greater St. Louis area.
- It isn’t real if you didn’t get a sticker! AgVocates were showcasing their pledge all week in Decatur with their AgVocate stickers and t-shirts. We also allowed visitors to read through our new resource for AgVocates at https://www.bayercropscience.us/our-commitment/agvocate.
- On day 3, we reached 3,000 AgVocate pledges, ant this is what it looks like! We were blown away by the excitement from all our visitors who put their name on this wall. Every hand counts as a pledge and every pledge counts as another voice out there for agriculture.
Would you like to be an #AgVocate? Check out our AgVocate page
to learn more about how you can amplify your voice and empower the future of the industry.
If you have any questions leave them in the comments below or reach out to us on Twitter or Instagram at @Bayer4CropsUS
. Make sure to use #AgVocate on social media to keep the pledge trending!