Celebrating National Honey Month
Friday, September 18, 2015
By: Sarah Myers, Apiarist at the Bayer Bee Care Center
Happy National Honey Month! It’s that time of year to be thankful for the sweet, sticky substance you put in your morning tea, drizzle over warm biscuits or add to your favorite barbecue recipe. And we wouldn’t be able to enjoy this delicious syrup without the hardworking honey bee that not only produces honey, but helps pollinate over 100 agricultural crops in the United States!1
Learn everything you need to know about honey and the honey bee – then test your knowledge with the quiz below. Also don’t forget to watch the first-ever honey extraction at the Bayer Bee Care Center!
5 facts about honey
Want more great facts about honey? Click to learn more!
- The flavor of honey varies depending on what the bees were feeding on when they produced it. Clover honey may taste the most familiar to Americans since that is what most grocery stores stock, and wildflower honey is the term used for honey when the source is unknown.2
- Bees must visit 2 million flowers to make a one-pound jar of honey.3
- Any honey produced in excess of the colony’s winter stores can be harvested. An average colony can produce in excess of 50 pounds of honey for extracting, and a good rule of thumb is to leave an average of 50-75 pounds of honey or more in the hive for the bees to consume over winter.4
- Honey production in the U.S. increased 19 percent in 2014 according to the USDA’s Honey Report.5
- Honey is the only food that will never spoil – it can be stored forever!6
Take the honey quiz
Are you an elite honey guru? Test your honey knowledge with this Honey Bee Quiz to find out! Play Now
Watch a honey extraction
We’re bringing honey from the hive to the bottle in this demonstration at the Bayer Bee Care Center!
Watch as wildflower honey is extracted using a 4 frame motorized electric extractor in honor of National Honey Month.
To learn more about honey and the honey bee visit beehealth.bayer.us
and follow us on Twitter
@Bayer4CropsUS for the latest bee health news. Join the conversation by using #beehealth!
Be sure to check out www.FeedABee.com
to learn how you can help support these amazing creatures!
1. “Learning Resources,” http://beehealth.bayer.us/about-bees/learning-resources
2. “Honey,” http://beehealth.bayer.us/gardeners/food-from-garden-and-hive/honey
3. “Honey Trivia,” National Honey Board, http://www.honey.com/tools-tips-and-resources/honey-trivia
4. “Honey,” http://beehealth.bayer.us/gardeners/food-from-garden-and-hive/honey
5. “Honey,” http://beehealth.bayer.us/gardeners/food-from-garden-and-hive/honey
6. “Honey Bee Quiz,” http://beehealth.bayer.us/gardeners/food-from-garden-and-hive/honey/honey-quiz