5 Reasons to Fall in Love with Farming

Monday, February 13, 2017
By: Bailey Harmon, Crop Science, Communications

Love is always in the air this time of year as Valentine’s Day quickly approaches. Whether you are cuddling up to a significant other, spending valuable time with your kids, or cozying up to some cute baby calves, lambs or piglets, we can all fall in love with farming this Valentine’s Day and here’s why:


1. The people


farm family
Agricultureis driven by the love these farmers have for their families, community and each other. According to the USDA, 97% of the agricultural community is comprised of family farms. No matter what type or size of the farm, each is dedicated to providing us with the fuel, food and fiber needed to survive.


2. The love for the land


american farm
Sustainability and stewardship is a top priority for farmers. According to a recent survey by the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance and the National Corn Growers Association, protecting the environment is a major concern for today’s farmers. They are utilizing new technologies and modern practices that help grow and raise food more sustainably, allowing for real solutions that solve global issues.


3. The animals


calves
Farmers have a passion and love for the animals they raise and care for every day. Raising animals (and crops) is a ‘round the clock’ job, and keeping them happy, healthy and comfortable is a farmer’s top concern.


4. The ability to help feed the world


Agvocate Facts
The global population is expected to grow to almost 10 billion people in the next 30 years, and we are relying on farmers and the agriculture industry to produce more food on less land. It’s no small feat and it takes dedication, innovation and sustainability to tackle this challenge.


5. The opportunity to teach & educate


grocery cart
About 2% of the U.S. population feeds the other 98% of us that are most likely far removed from agriculture. This gap provides farmers and future farmers with the opportunity to share their story and AgVocate on behalf of the industry. Everyone’s story is unique, and I encourage you to either ask a farmer or yourself, “Why do you AgVocate?”

Now that you’ve fallen in love with farming, spread a little love this Valentine’s Day and #ThankAFarmer!

Share: 

Add your comment

 
 

 

Archive

Copyright © Bayer CropScience