Company Continues to Invest with Recent Projects of More than $67 million in RTP Including the Completion of Facility Renovations and the Groundbreaking of Greenhouse Research Facility
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. (June 23, 2015)
– Today, Bayer CropScience celebrated its two most recent investment milestones: the completion of a $33 million office modernization project and the groundbreaking of Greenhouse 6, a $34 million research facility at its Research Triangle Park (RTP) headquarters. These projects are the latest in a series of investments that started in 2012 at the RTP location, which total nearly $150 million.
“The modern office at our North American Crop Protection and global Seeds headquarters in RTP reflects Bayer’s desire to play a leading role in shaping the future of innovation in the life sciences industry,” said Bayer CropScience CEO Liam Condon. “Whether we are expanding our facilities here in the United States or other locations throughout the world, we seek to do so in a way that promotes and achieves our mission of ‘Bayer: Science For A Better Life.’”
This newly renovated facility boasts a modern and open design where employees have the resources and space to work efficiently, as well as amenities further enhancing Bayer’s reputation as one of the Triangle’s best places to work. Now, more than 700 scientists and specialists work together in this LEED certified $33 million space, which was specifically designed to increase cross-functional collaboration.
Greenhouse 6 is the third in a trio of new, state-of-the-art facilities at the RTP headquarters, which will increase Bayer’s capabilities to analyze and develop crops and find novel seeds and traits that will ultimately lead to solving farmers’ greatest challenges. Greenhouse 5
and Greenhouse 1
are the other two facilities that make up this trio. Greenhouse 5 opened in 2012 and Greenhouse 1 is scheduled to open late 2015.
“We are proud to continue making investments in Research Triangle Park and around the United States,” said Jim Blome, president and CEO of Bayer CropScience North America. “As we expand our business and grow our research hub in RTP, we further enhance our abilities to make meaningful contributions to farming and modern agricultural production ensuring that we all have enough safe, abundant and affordable food. That’s a job we take seriously.”
plans to invest close to US$ 1 billion (EUR 700 million) in Capital Expenditures (CAPEX) in the United States between 2013 and 2016, mainly to ramp up research and development and to expand a world-class product supply of its top crop protection brands. These expenditures are part of a global investment program Bayer CropScience started last year, with a total CAPEX for the period 2013 to 2016 of EUR 2.4 billion (approximately US$ 3.3 billion)
The company’s modernized office space and Greenhouse 6 are the latest in a series of investments that started in 2012 at the RTP location.
A summary of key investments at the RTP campus since 2012:
Bayer CropScience Twitter Page:
- July 2012 - Greenhouse 5 opened, focusing on corn, soy and other broadacre crop research. ($20 million)
- December 2012 - Land purchase adjacent to the Bayer CropScience RTP headquarters, providing the ability to expand in the future. ($6.2 million)
- May 2013 – Development North America (DNA) Facilities completed, where scientists conduct crop protection and environmental science research, including pest and turf and ornamentals. ($16.1 million)
- April 2014 – North American Bee Care Center opened, bringing together resources to support product stewardship, sustainable agricultural and comprehensive solutions for honey bee health. ($2.4 million)
- September 2014 – Bayer CropScience broke ground on Greenhouse 1, a 29,500-square-foot facility that will complement other Bayer CropScience greenhouse facilities on the RTP site. ($29.6 million)
- June 2015 – Groundbreaking of Greenhouse 6, a 73,500 square foot research facility on the RTP site. ($34.2 million)
- June 2015 – Modern Office opens, housing over 700 scientists and specialists, built with many sustainable features. ($33 million)
Bayer CropScience Blog:
Bayer CropScience is committed to bringing new technology and solutions for agriculture and non-agricultural uses. For questions concerning the availability and use of products, contact a local Bayer CropScience representative, or visit Bayer CropScience online at www.bayercropscience.us.
Visit the Bayer Connect - Social Hub
for all Bayer CropScience social media, recent news, blog posts, videos and more.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, agriculture and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience, the subgroup of Bayer AG responsible for the agricultural business, has annual sales of EUR 9,494 million (2014) and is one of the world’s leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of seeds, crop protection and non-agricultural pest control. The company offers an outstanding range of products including high value seeds, innovative crop protection solutions based on chemical and biological modes of action as well as an extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture. In the area of non-agricultural applications, Bayer CropScience has a broad portfolio of products and services to control pests from home and garden to forestry applications. The company has a global workforce of 23,100 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: bayercropscience.us.
Bayer CropScience Media Hotline, 1-862-404-5118, or
Head of Communications & Bayer CropScience NA Coordinator
Tel: (919) 549-2030
Tel: (919) 233-6600
Find more information at www.bayercropscience.us
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer’s public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.